Friday, September 12, 2008

Swimming Lessons

We started swimming lessons on Monday of this week. I was really excited for Caroline since she's been in the water since she was 6 weeks old. Many of you know that I swam growing up and still swim to this day. Well, we started off ok because Caroline went with the instructor and walked away from me. She put the belt around her waist and started to do some of the things the instructor was asking. Well, I was trying to be the supportive mom and gave her a thumbs up sign and then it all went down hill from there. She cried for about the last 20 minutes of the session. When we got home later, we talked about her lessons with Daddy.

Me: Caroline, let's tell Daddy how you did at swim lessons.
C: What did I do?
Me: Well, you walked over with Ms. Andrea and sat with the 2 other boys.
C: No I didn't.
Me: That's right. You stood while the other boys sat.
C: What'd I do next?
Me: Then you sat on the side of the pool and kicked.
C: No, I didn't.
Me: That's right. But, you know how to do that, don't you?
C: Yes. What was next?
Me: Then, Ms. Andrea had you blow bubbles.
C: No, I didn't.
Me: But, you know how to do that too, don't you? (you get the idea!!)- She's a stinker.

So, we switched our lessons to Wed. nights because that's the class Cora's in. Let me tell you, it made a HUGE difference. Caroline got right in the water, put the belt on, blew bubbles, pushed off the wall on her front and back, kicked down to the deep end of the pool (holding on to her new teacher's hand), and even comforted Cora when she was a little scared. So, I think it's going to be ok afterall. :)

No comments: